Weekend Retirement is all about spending your weekend doing fun activities and finding ways to relax. This post is inspired by the book, 1001 Ways to Relax, by Mike George.
Simple ways to enjoy your weekend begin with waking up. George suggests the following ways to ease into the day:
- Wake naturally from sunlight streaming into your bedroom.
- Upon waking, follow the suggestion of Friedrich Nietzsche and ask yourself: How can I bring joy to at least one person today?
- Try taking a walk before breakfast.
Ways to relax during the day:
- Hold a baby.
- Read a classic novel.
- Plan a trip to a destination you have dreamed about. Research what to see and the best way to get there. Rent a movie with this location as its setting. You don’t physically have to make the trip to enjoy thoughts about being there.
- Don’t wear a watch on the weekend.
- Spend time learning about a topic purely because it interests you.
- Visit a playground or dog park to watch people and animals at play.
- Investigate a spiritual practice.
- Sit by the ocean and listen to the waves.
- Enjoy a real fire in your fireplace.
- Visit a park or botannical garden.
- Look up an old friend.
- Read Walt Whitman’s “Song of Myself.”
- Visit an art gallery and find a work to focus on for five minutes. Bring home a post card of that piece of art to remind you of your visit.
- Listen to a Gregorian chant or some Byzantine liturgical music or an Indian raga.
- Spend some time singing or making music.
Which of these suggestions resonate with you?